top of page


Statement of Purpose

This policy establishes the Haven’s position, role and responsibilities and clarifies what is expected from all members involved in the project.

The Haven Co-operative CIC is committed to creating and maintaining a safe and positive environment and accepts our responsibility to safeguard the welfare of all adults involved in the project in accordance with the Care Act 2014.


The policy and procedures outlined in this document apply to all members of The Haven Co-operative CIC.



All adults, regardless of age, ability or disability, gender, race, religion, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, marital or gender status have the right to be protected from abuse and poor practice and to participate in an enjoyable and safe environment. The rights, dignity and worth of all adults will always be respected.

The Haven Co-operative CIC is committed to ensuring that vulnerable members of the community and/or vulnerable adults who use our space are not abused or at risk of harm.

All members have a shared responsibility to ensure the safety and well-being of all adults.

It is not the members responsibility to decide whether or not an adult has been abused. It is, however, members responsibility to report concerns to the designated safeguarding Leads.

All suspicions and allegations of abuse will be taken seriously and responded to swiftly and appropriately


Safeguarding is protecting a person's rights to live in safety and free from abuse and neglect. Safeguarding is for people who, because of issues such as, mental ill-health or substance abuse, have care and support needs that may make them more vulnerable to abuse or neglect.


A Vulnerable Adult at Risk is a person aged 18 or over who has needs for care and support (whether or not the local authority is meeting any of those needs) and is experiencing, or is at risk of, abuse or neglect and who, as a result of these care and support needs is unable to protect themselves from either the risk of, or the experience of, abuse or neglect.


The Care and support statutory guidance identifies ten types of abuse, these are:

Abuse can take place in any setting, public or private, and can be perpetuated by anyone.

Risk of harm or neglect can include any behaviours or situations that are more likely to result in death, injury, homelessness, illness, privation or endangerment of others and includes radicalisation as defined by the prevention strategy.


The Haven Co-operative CIC shall appoint 2 Designated Leads for Vulnerable Adults Protection.

The designated leads, upon receiving any report of suspicion or risk of abuse shall:

  • Enter into a process to assess whether the situation requires further action

  • Where their assessment is that further action is required to address risk or abuse, inform and work co-operatively with other organisations through the processes established by the Local Safeguarding Adults Board in the Local Authority Area.

All those making a complaint, allegation or expressing concern, shall be reassured that:

  • They will be taken seriously

  • Their comments will usually be treated confidentially, but their concerns may be shared with the appropriate authorities if they or others are at significant risk

  • Such disclosures are protected under The Haven Co-operative CIC Whistleblowing Policy

All members of The Haven Co-operative CIC shall be:

  • Made aware of this policy

  • Have alleged incidents recognised and taken seriously

  • Receive fair and respectful treatment throughout

  • Be involved in any process as appropriate

  • Receive information about the outcome.

What to do if you have a concern, or if someone raises concerns with you:


  • It is not your responsibility to decide whether or not an adult has been abused. It is, however, everyone's responsibility to respond to and report concerns.

  • If you are concerned someone is in immediate danger, contact the police on 999 straight away. Where you suspect that a crime is being committed, you must involve the police.

  • If you have concerns and/or you are told about possible or alleged abuse, poor practice or wider welfare issues you must report this to the Haven Co-operative CIC Safeguarding Leads. Or, if one or both of the Safeguarding Leads is implicated, then report to the Board of Directors.

  • It is good practice to seek the adult’s views on what they would like to happen next and to inform the adult you will be passing on your concern

  • It is important when considering your concern that you keep the person informed about any decisions and action taken, and always consider their needs and wishes.


How to respond to a concern

  • Make a note of your concerns.

  • Make a note of what the person has said using his or her own words as soon as practicable.

  • Complete an Incident Form by writing your details, the details of the person affected, details of the incident and any witnesses and submit to the Safeguarding Leads.

  • Remember to make safeguarding personal. Discuss your safeguarding concerns with the adult, obtain their view of what they would like to happen, but inform them it’s your duty to pass on your concerns to your Safeguarding Leads.

  • Describe the circumstances in which the disclosure came about.

  • Take care to distinguish between fact, observation, allegation and opinion. It is important that the information you have is accurate.

  • Be mindful of the need to be confidential at all times. Safeguarding incident reports should only be made to the Safeguarding Leads or in their absence a Director.

  • They will then decide if the information needs to be shared further, this will always be on a strictly need to know basis.

  • If the matter is urgent and relates to the immediate safety of an adult at risk then contact the emergency services immediately.





Signed by:………………………………Position in organisation:………………



Date to be updated:………………………………..

To report an incident of suspected adult abuse outside of the Haven make a note of:

* Why you're concerned

* Name, age and address of adult at risk

* If anyone lives with them

* If they're getting help from any organisation

* Who may be doing the abuse

And contact  with your concerns

Emergency Police call 999

Non Emergency Police call 101

Care Direct call 0117 922 2700 to report Adult abuse

bottom of page